Saturday, September 20, 2014

Crockpot Apple Butter



Approx. 3 lb. apples
3 cups sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
Dash of salt
3/4 cup water or fresh apple cider

Fill Crock-pot 3/4 full with peeled, cored and sliced apples. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until evenly mixed. Cover and cook on low setting overnight or until the butter is of a thick, spreadable consistency. If apple butter has too much liquid, remove lid and cook on high until thickened. Stir often as butter thickens to prevent scorching. Store in refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. Freeze for longer storage. Variation: For a less sweet apple butter, substitute 1 cup honey for the sugar. To can the apple butter, pack into hot jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

My changes:
- I reduced the sugar to 1 cup. Now that its done it tastes fine, but I decided to add some brown sugar to it, just to give it a little something more. I used a large spoon from the silverware drawer and put two heaping spoonfuls in. It tastes perfect to me now! 3 cups of sugar would have been way too much!
- I used apple juice instead of water
- Mine has been cooking on low for 16 hours! I put it in at 4:30pm yesterday. By 10pm it was just mushy chunks of apples, so I left it overnight. I woke up to nice dark brown chunky apple butter. I used a submerssion handheld blender to smooth it out. Its perfect! Now its on warm while I wait for the jars to sanitize in the dishwasher. I'm going to attempt canning!

No comments: