Sunday, August 23, 2009

Roasted Chicken

A few days ago I bought a couple of whole chickens thanks to a great sale. I am saving one for homemade chicken noodle soup this fall, but really wanted to find a recipe for roasted chicken. There are so many recipes out there, so I found one and made it my own...since I didn't have all the ingredients in my pantry!

Ingredients
1 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 onions, quartered
1 - 4 lb whole chicken

Directions
In a small bowl, mix together paprika, onion powder, thyme, black pepper, and garlic salt. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place onion into the cavity of the chicken. Place chicken in a resealable bag or double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).

Place chicken in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 5 hours, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let the chicken stand for 10 minutes before carving.

No comments: